If you are completing an undergraduate, graduate, or medical degree this semester, you will receive an email describing what changes will occur to your Brown account, email, and other electronic services shortly before your the end of the semester.
Generally, the changes are as follows:
- Your Brown username and password will continue to exist, but you will lose access to most services unless you continue at Brown in another capacity (see details below).
- In most cases, your current Google account will be renamed from @brown.edu to @alumni.brown.edu, and will continue to contain all your current content (for example, email and Google Drive files). This process will vary if you are continuing as a student, faculty, or staff at Brown. For more information about what happens in the case of continuing affiliation, refer to the article Learn about Lifetime Brown Email for Alumni.
- Within a month of completing your graduation requirements, you will receive access to additional services for alumni.
You will lose access to these services:
We’d love to give you these services forever, but unfortunately we are bound by licensing! :(
- After completion (for May grads, this is 1 week after Memorial day, and for mid-year completers, this date is as early as 1/4 or shortly after requirements are marked as complete by the Registrar's Office). You will receive an email the day before this happens.
- Brown Wifi (you can still use Brown-Guest)
- Building access
- Library access (you can contact the library in order to request alumni-level access)
- Library circulation
- RIPTA access
- Use of computers in computer labs
- Microsoft Office 365 will go into read-only mode as late as 30 days after graduation
- please uninstall all non-subscription based Brown software from your computer as well
- VPN (if you still need access, email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Two-Step Verification
- 10 days later (for May grads, this is 17 days after Memorial Day, and for mid-year completers, this date is as early as 1/13 or 9 days after whenever requirements are marked as complete)
- Your @brown.edu address becomes @alumni.brown.edu (in most cases - exceptions listed here). You'll log in with the alumni address, same password as before. Your email, contacts, Drive, etc. content will still be accessible.
- If you're not sure when you are completing in the spring semester, you can simply wait until your @brown.edu email login doesn't seem to work, and then try @alumni.brown.edu instead.
- Three to four weeks after degree completion
- You will have access to the Alumni Edition of selected library e-Resources through the Brown Alumni Association. See Eresources on Brunonia for details.
- You will have access to the full range of alumni services available through the Brunonia website, including the Brown Handshake for Alumni Job Board and the Alumni Directory. See Brunonia for details.
- 90 days after graduation or completion
- mail to your @brown.edu address stops forwarding to your @alumni.brown.edu address and bounces back to sender
- 18 months after graduation or completion
- Access to Workday for tax records (former student employees only)
You will continue to be able to access:
- Banner (selfservice.brown.edu) - for unofficial transcripts
- Rosetta Stone (rosettastone.brown.edu)
- myaccount.brown.edu (to manage your password)
- Workday (for student employee W2 forms - ends 18 months after degree completion)
You will receive additional access:
- Brunonia’s Dashboard is the portal to your new Personal Profile, the Alumni Directory, subscriptions, and volunteer tools such as alumni interviewing
- Your continuing services are also accessible through the Dashboard: BrownConnect (alumni view), transcripts, Brown account, Handshake job board, alumni edition of library Eresources, etc.
- If you plan to use a personal email address for communications with Brown, please be sure your non-Brown address is listed as "preferred" in your Personal Profile on Brunonia, or you may miss future updates about your services.
- Did you set up any online accounts with your @brown.edu address? If so, update these accounts in the three months after you get Alumni email to use @alumni.brown.edu or a personal address of your choice. During this time your Brown email will still be forwarded to you, so you have some flexibility.
- Did you have files stored in Dropbox, Adobe Creative Cloud, or your Home Folder (the folder that shows up on computer lab machines?) If so, move your files to a personal account or to your Brown Google Drive.
- When your email transitions to an alumni account as described in the "10 days later" bullet above, remember to log in to your email as @alumni.brown.edu (same password as before).
- If you purchase Microsoft Office 365 or Adobe Creative Cloud subscriptions, you can log out of your Brown account and log in with your new username and password to continue using without having to reinstall.
Need more information?
Learn more about life after Brown on the Brunonia website.