Assignments include quizzes, graded discussions, and online submissions. To create an assignment:
- Log in to Canvas at canvas.brown.edu and select your course from the Global Navigation menu on the left.
- Click Assignments in the Course Navigation menu.
- Click + Assignment to add an assignment shell. You can now select from various options to design the assignment.
- Enter the name of the assignment in the Assignment Name box.
- Enter a description of the assignment in the box below if relevant.
- Enter the number of points the assignment is worth in the Points box.
- Select the group to which the assignment belongs in the Assignment Group menu. The default type is Assignment. You can create multiple groups to manage your assignments. Learn more about assignment groups here.
- Select how you will grade the assignment in the Display Grade as menu. You can select percentage, complete-incomplete, points, letter grade, and ungraded. Select ungraded to create reading assignments.
- Select how students submit the assignment in the Submission Type menu.
- If you select the Online submission type, select the different types of submissions you will accept.
- If applicable, select This is a Group Assignment, Require Peer Reviews, or Allow a moderator to review multiple independent grades for selected submissions.
- Enter a due date in the Due box.
- Click Save to save the assignment but keep it hidden from students until you publish it later. Click Save & Publish to save the assignment and make it visible to students immediately.
- To publish an assignment, click the assignment in the Assignments page, then click Publish at the top of the page.
- Or, publish the assignment on the Assignments page by clicking the Publish icon to the right of the assignment's name.
Your new assignment will appear on the Assignments page under the assignment group you selected. Any Assignments you create automatically show up in the Calendar, Syllabus page and Gradebook. Learn how to enter students' grades in the gradebook here.