Watch the Video Instructions on YouTube: https://youtu.be/hDfZWg9zhWA
For assignments graded outside of Canvas, you can enter students’ scores in the Grades tool to make them available to your students.
- Log in to Canvas at canvas.brown.edu.
- Select your course in the Global Navigation menu on the left.
- Select Grades in the Course Navigation menu.
- If a grade has not been entered for a student’s submission, a dash will appear in the box for that student’s submission. Click the box to enter a grade. The student’s grade in the corresponding assignment group and their total grade will adjust automatically.
- To leave a comment, move your cursor over a grade and click the Comment icon that appears in the upper right corner of the box. Enter a comment in the Add a comment box, then click Post Comment.
- If you want to edit a score that has already been entered, click the number in the box and enter a new score in the Grade box that appears.
Setting a default grade
If many students have earned the same grade on an assignment, you can enter a default grade for students.
- Move your cursor over the assignment title, then click the arrow that appears in the lower right corner of the box.
- Click Set Default Grade. Enter the grade value, then click Set Default Grade.
- Edit grades for students who earned a different score.
Enter grades in a grade sheet outside of Canvas
- Click Export to the upper right of the grade sheet to download the grade sheet in .csv format.
- Enter scores outside of Canvas. Do not change any other data in this spreadsheet or the file may not correctly re-upload to Canvas.
- Save changes in the speadsheet.
- Return to the Canvas Grades tool and click Import in the upper right to upload.
Click here to learn how to grade assessments submitted through Canvas.