If the report you scheduled, subscribed to, or ran in the background didn't deliver output as expected, there are two methods you can use to confirm a report run failed and view the failure message. Both are fairly simple:
- Use the My schedules and subscriptions interface
- Run the My Report Runs report
Method 1: My schedules and subscriptions
- Click the user icon, and then select My schedules and subscriptions.
- On the left, from the Schedule menu, select Past.
- On the top center of the screen, click the date, and then select the date the schedule or subscription should have run.
- From the Schedule menu, select Past.
- At the bottom of the screen, in the list of runs, locate your schedule or subscription execution. (A Failed status indicates a failure.)
- To the far right of the failed report, click ... (More), and then select Run Details.
Details of the run appear including the failure message(s). Proceed to the section "Understand Failure Messages" below.
Method 2: My Report Runs
In a previous version of Cognos Analytics (v11.0.8), the failure message was not visible in the interface. As a work around, in the Help and Support Resources folder, we created the My Report Runs report to show you the failure message. This report remains available to you. It leverages the audit data and provides historical information about your background run activity and can show a history of your report runs.
To see the failure error message, run the My Report Runs report for the time frame when your report failed. Proceed to the section "Understand Failure Messages" below.
Understand Failure Messages
You can Google search the error message that appears in My Report Runs for more details about the cause of the failure.
The following are common reasons why reports fail to run.
|Failure Message Example||What it means (and how to resolve it)|
QE-DEF-0285 The logon failed. QE-DEF-0325 The logon failed for the following reason: RQP-DEF-0068 Unable to connect to at least one database during a multi-database attach to [name of database] UDA-SQL-0107 A general exception has occurred during the operation "attach". ORA-28000: the account is locked
The report failed to run for one of the following reasons.
QE-DEF-0144 Prompt '' has no substitution values.
(In quotes '' you see a prompt name from your report.)
This happened because you did not save any prompt values in the schedule settings. The report fails to execute the schedule because it cannot run the report with missing values.
Modify your schedule and add prompt values.
Need more help?
If you are unsure why your report failed, please contact the Business Intelligence Team for help: CIS-ReportingTeam@brown.edu.