For most graduating students, this article is NOT necessary. Your email account will automatically change from a brown.edu to an alumni.brown.edu account. However, some graduating students might have other affiliations - for example, they may be continuing as staff. In these cases, they will receive an empty alumni account and can optionally move content to the new empty account.
Brown's email policies should be reviewed here prior to any transfer, to ensure compliance with all Brown and federal privacy regulations.
Google Transfer Utility
This option will wholesale transfer data from your brown.edu account to your alumni.brown.edu. This method only works for transferring mail from Brown to another Brown email account. It will also transfer Drive files, Calendar events, and other services in the same Google account.
This procedure may take a couple of days depending on the quota on your account.
• Go to the Google Transfer Utility through Google Takeout
• Make sure you are signed into your Brown email account
• Provide the email address of the other Google account the data will be transferred to.
• You will need access to this account to move forward.
• A confirmation email will be sent to the email address provided with an activation code
• Retrieve the code by clicking on the link provided in the email sent to that address and plug it into the Transfer utility
• Indicate, within the Transfer Utility, what data you'd like to transfer over
The data will be copied; data will still remain within the account during the transfer. The utility may indicate the length of time needed for the transfer to complete.
The transfer will include all your email and any Google Docs owned by your account.
Once the transfer is completed, you should receive a message in your @alumni.brown.edu indicating the process was fully executed.