For legal name changes, see our article Change Your Legal Name in Brown Systems.
If your name change or nickname is not legal, you can still use a preferred name in many Brown systems. If you are a student with a sensitive name change related to gender, Student Support Services or the LGBTQ Center can advise and assist you with other steps, for example, informing faculty of your preferred name. Please note that a preferred name cannot be used on your transcript.
1. First, change your preferred name with the office of record for your primary affiliation at Brown:
- If you are a student, change your name by logging into banner. Once in banner, select the personal information link and then choose the My Name tab.
- If you are faculty/staff, change your name in Workday - under Personal Information, choose Preferred Name, and edit your name as needed
- If you are a Sponsored ID (Brown affiliate), change your name in MyAccount - on the Profile page enter in a preferred first and last name.
2. Once you have confirmed that the office above has changed your preferred name, submit an Access Request form with a Email Alias.
This step will create a new email address to match your preferred name/chosen name. Your legal name will still be your main email address. The alias delivers to that same inbox and can be given out in place of your legal name email address. You can also send as the email alias and update the display name.