Modules are used to organize course content by week, unit, or other organizational structure that suits a course. They create a path for students to follow. Each module can contain pages, files, discussions, assignments, quizzes, and other learning materials.
To add a Module:
- Log in to Canvas at canvas.brown.edu.
- Select a course in the Global Navigation menu on the left.
- Select Modules in the Course Navigation menu.
- Click + Module to create a module.
- Enter the name of the new module in the Module Name box.
- Select Lock Until to prevent students from accessing the module before a given date.
- Click Add prerequisite to require students to complete another module prior to beginning this one.
- Choose whether you want students to move through the module in sequential order.
- Click Add Module.
You can add items that you have already created in the course to your module or create new content shells within the module.
To add content to a module:
- Click the + to the right of the module.
- Select an item type from the Add menu. You can add an Assignment, Quiz, File (document and media file types), Content Page, Discussion, Text Header, External URL, or External Tool.
- Select an existing item from the list that appears.
Add a new item by clicking New (Assignment, Quiz, etc.) and typing a name in the Name box.
- Change indentation in the Indentation menu.
- Click Add Item.
- To make it viewable to students, click the Publish icon.
- Drag and drop items to rearrange their sequence.
- You can visually organize items under a module further using Text Headers. Follow the steps above to add a Text Header to a module.
- Published items in an unpublished module are not available to students.
You can also view this video to understand these steps better: