Modules are used to organize course content by week, unit, or other organizational structure that suits a course. They create a path for students to follow. Each module can contain pages, files, discussions, assignments, quizzes, and other learning materials.
To add a Module:
- Log in to Canvas at canvas.brown.edu.
- Select a course in the Global Navigation menu on the left.
- Select Modules in the Course Navigation menu.
- Click + Module to create a module.
- Enter the name of the new module in the Module Name box.
- Select Lock Until to prevent students from accessing the module before a given date.
- Click Add prerequisite to require students to complete another module prior to beginning this one.
- Choose whether you want students to move through the module in sequential order.
- Click Add Module.
You can add items that you have already created in the course to your module or create new content shells within the module. To add content (pages, assignments, quizzes and discussions) directly to a module see Creating Items From Modules.
- You can visually organize items under a module further using Text Headers. Follow the steps above to add a Text Header to a module.
- Published items in an unpublished module are not available to students.