Google Analytics (GA) is a free tool that tracks and reports website traffic.
University Communications (UC) mandates that all Brown web sites have GA installed with Brown's tracking ID. This will help the University monitor and achieve its communication goals.
Only selected UC and CIS staff have access to Brown's Analytics. If you would also like to monitor your site's Analytics, follow the steps in Option 2 below.
Option 1: Installing Analytics for Brown UC Use Only
If you have a BrownSite or a BrownBlog, GA is already installed and configured with the Brown tracking ID. If you are building a custom website, you will need to install GA through Google Tag Manager (GTM). The Brown GTM Container ID is: GTM-KX5NV9
Installing Google Tag Manager with Brown's Container ID
Paste this code as high in the <head> of the page as possible:
Additionally, paste this code immediately after the opening <body> tag:
Option 2: Installing Analytics for both your Department and Brown UC
You or your 3rd party vendor will need to use GTM to install both your department's and the University's GA tracking IDs on your site. GTM can add multiple GA scripts/accounts to a website.
- Setup your own GA account at https://analytics.google.com/
- Create a new Property and get your tracking ID
- Account Name: Your Department Name
- Website Name
- Website URL
- Time Zone: Eastern Time
- Click: Get Tracking ID - It will look something like UA-12345678-1
- Invite firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com to be account users (optional).
- Setup a GTM account at https://tagmanager.google.com
- Create container
- Create variable for your department's GA Tracking ID
- Variables > News: Enter Name
- Variable Configuration > Google Analytics Settings > Tracking ID > "Save"
- Create variable for the University's GA Tracking ID UA-34495025-1 and call it "BrownU UA"
- Create Trigger
- Triggers > New: Enter "All pageviews"
- Trigger Type: Pageview
- All Page Views
- Click "Save"
- Create new Tag
- Tags > New: Click "BrownU GA"
- Tag Configuration > Universal Analytics
- Track Type: Page View
- Google Analytics Settings: "BrownU UA"
- Trigger: "All Pageviews"
- Click "Submit"
- Enter Version Name and Version Desription
- Click "Publish"