Receiving notices about GTempAccounts
If you are receiving email notices, like below, regarding a @gtempaccount.com account, you can continue through this article to fix the root cause.
If you are getting notifications about your actual @brown.edu or @alumni.brown.edu account, or you have some security concerns about your Brown Gmail account, you can refer to this KB article on how to check and secure your account.
Why is this happening?
At some point, before Brown moved to Gmail, you had created an account with a Google service using your @brown.edu or @alumni.brown.edu email account. This could have been anything like YouTube or some other Google service. When Brown started using Gmail services, the previously created account was renamed to this GTempAccount in order for your @alumni/brown.edu account to exist as an email account. In order to resolve this issue, you will need to sign into this GTempAccount with the password you setup for it originally. This was sometime ago so it may be an old password you no longer use or recall.
The warnings you've been receiving is related to some app or service that had permission to your account, but no longer does. It's been trying to access that account and has and will continue to fail.
How do I resolve this?
- Using a different browser than you normally use, go to Gmail.com
- Sign in there with this GTemp Account (e.g. NET_IDfirstname.lastname@example.org )
- Then put in the password that you would have most likely used.
- If you don't recall this password, there will be password reset options.
- Make sure that you are doing this in a different browser to be certain the account you are using is this GTempAccount. FYI - You won't be able to delete your Brown Gmail account.
- If for you do not recall or cannot reset the password for this account, you will continue to receive these notices and there's no way for even Google to resolve this.
- Go to https://myaccount.google.com/
- Under Account preferences, click Delete your account or services.
- Click Delete Google Account account and data.
- Follow through the steps to delete the account.
I can't login. Now what?
If you can't get around the password issue, you can setup a filter in your Brown Gmail account that will catch the specific warnings about this GTempAccount and automatically delete them or archive them.
- Within Gmail.com, click on the Down Arrow at the top of Gmail within the Gmail search box. This should display the advance search and you can fill in the fields to filter out only these messages.
- In the Subject field, plug in the exact subject of the email notice you received.
- In the Has the words section, put your GTempAccount email address ( e.g. NET_IDemail@example.com )
- Click the magnifying glass to submit a search.
- You should now only see the warning email notification(s)
- If this is true, then click on the Dropdown arrow again at the top. You should see that the information you've put in is still there.
- Click on Create a filter with this search
- Here you can simply choose the option at the top Skip the Inbox (Archive it)
- Select the box at the bottom for Also apply filter to # matching conversations
- Click Create Filter
If for some reason the search displayed results other than the warning notifications, then other search criteria will need to be used to narrow down the scope of the filter.
Feel free to call or chat the IT Service Center to assist with any step of this process.