Many faculty and staff members have asked to take their campus computer equipment home.
CIS and Finance & Administration have worked together to create a request process that keeps staff and faculty safe, keeps track of University assets appropriately, and ensures computers are reliable, secure, and supportable at home. Use this process to request taking home accessories such as a keyboard and mouse, monitor, or dock, or your entire desktop computer. It should also be completed by anyone who has already taken equipment home previously.
Here’s how to complete the process:
- You can only complete the request for taking your equipment home if you have completed the COVID-19 Campus Safety Policy Overview and Acknowledgement Phase 2 training in Workday.
- Submit your request to take the equipment home.
- Your Department Head (such as Chair or Director) will review and approve or deny your request.
- If approved, your equipment will be recorded as removed from campus into your custody.
- CIS will maintain the inventory of Brown’s equipment.
- Your IT support staff (IT Support Consultant or Department Computing Coordinator) will work with you to ensure that your equipment is prepared to be removed from campus and will function reliably and securely at home. They will ensure:
- The operating system is updated to a supported version.
- The computer is included in a computer management system under the care of your own IT staff.
- The computer is configured correctly to avoid problems at home.
- If you need a WiFi adapter to use a desktop computer at home, we will provide one during this process as well. This will mostly be needed for Windows desktop computers; all Apple computers including desktops already have wifi hardware.
- Due to health and security reasons, IT staff will not be able to retrieve your equipment for you from your office. If you completed COVID safety training, you will have one-time authorization to visit your campus office to pick up your own equipment. Please schedule your visit with your Department Manager/Chair or another person who is maintaining the master schedule for your building/office space. All departments who have gone through the Return to Campus Process had to designate a person responsible for scheduling.
- We have a clear guide to make it easy to retrieve your computer and set it up at home yourself. Please remember, only Brown personnel that have completed Phase Two COVID-19 Campus Safety Training can enter Brown buildings. If you have brought a family member to assist, they must remain curbside.
- Once you get your equipment connected at home, your IT staff can continue to support you remotely if you have any problems, using all of our remote support tools.
Remember: Any equipment you are approved to take home will remain the property of Brown, and is expected to be returned to campus when remote working has concluded. You are expected to take proper care of the equipment and report if there is any loss or damage.