If you are requesting a group for a "predictable" set of staff, faculty, or students in your department, look into BrownGroups, which maintain group membership automatically based on department (with the ability to add / remove individuals).
To request a Google Group for which you will manually maintain membership:
- Create a new ticket for the IT Service Center.
- For the category, choose "Account / Access Request" and for the subcategory choose "Application List"
- If the request is on someone else's behalf, check the appropriate box and include their information
- From the list of Applications, choose Google Group.
- A box will appear under the list of applications so you can provide information about the group. You will be able to change some of these settings later.
- Name of Google Group (this is its email address, e.g., email@example.com).
- Name of Primary Google Group Manager
- Name of Backup Google Group Manager (optional)
- Name of Departmental approver
- Who can post to this group (managers only, members only, all organization members - this means brown.edu, or public)
- Is archiving enabled (do posts appear on the group page)
- Click Submit when finished filling out the request form.
When your request has been completed, the Computing Accounts office will notify you or the person on behalf of whom you requested the group. They will also share information about group settings and instructions about how to add other people to the group.