Use http://coursetools.brown.edu to request a Canvas site for a course.
- Visit coursetools.brown.edu.
- Click LogIn to the appropriate user type: faculty, staff, or Graduate Students. If prompted, enter your Brown username and password.
- You will see the courses you have access to in the block on the right. Select the course you want to have a Canvas site.
*** If you are listed as “Instructor of record” for all the sections of a course, you will be asked if you want to Combine Course Sections. If you wish to use a single Canvas course for all of those sections, please select the courses you would like to combine using the check boxes at the bottom and select Combine. If you do not wish to combine them, select Do Not Combine.
*** If a class has multiple sections with different primary instructors, and the instructors wish to only use a single Canvas course for all of those sections, a Canvas site for each section will need to be created in order to be able to merge the secondary sections into the primary section. If you would like your courses merged, please contact email@example.com.
- On the course page, there is a box at the bottom for Canvas. Select the Request button inside the Canvas box. The system will take a moment to process, then it will say "Requested."
- Once it is created, you can click the link that says "View your Canvas course site" to go directly to the course. You may have to refresh the page for the link to appear. The process for course creation typically takes 5 minutes.