Learn how to request a Canvas site for your course.
|Note: If you would like to reactivate a course from another semester, first request a new course site and then import content from another course site.
- Visit coursetools.brown.edu.
- Click Login to the appropriate user type. If prompted, enter your Brown username and password.
3. You will see that the Term Selection is located at the top of the window along with the options to view courses by "subject" or "instructor."
4. Select the course you want to have a Canvas site.
- If you are listed as “Instructor of Record” for all the sections of a course, you will be asked if you want to "Combine Course Sections." If you wish to use a single Canvas course for all of those sections, please select the courses you would like to combine using the checkboxes at the bottom and select Combine. If you do not wish to combine them, select Do Not Combine.
- If a class has multiple sections with different primary instructors, and the instructors wish to only use a single Canvas course for all of those sections, a Canvas site for each section will need to be created in order to be able to merge the secondary sections into the primary section. If you would like your courses merged, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If a class is cross-listed with other courses (different course codes), and the instructor(s) wish to only use a single Canvas course for all of those sections, a Canvas site for each section will need to be requested/created in order to be able to merge together. If you would like your courses merged, please request all course Canvas sites and then contact email@example.com and let them know which Canvas site will contain the course content.
4. On the course page, there is a box at the bottom for Canvas. Select the Request button inside the Canvas box. The system will take a moment to process, then it will say "Requested."
5. Once it is created, you can click the link that says "View Your Canvas Course Site" to go directly to the course. You may have to refresh the page for the link to appear. The process for course creation typically takes 5 minutes.