With Jabber, you can bring your Brown phone number with you, even if you're away from your desk! Jabber is a unified communications application for Windows, macOS, and mobile devices. You can make and receive phone calls*, and easily search the Brown directory.
If you still have questions after reading our documentation, please contact the IT Service Center.
- How do I get Jabber?
- Is there documentation for Jabber?
- How do I get Jabber on my mobile device?
- Is there any cost associated with a Jabber account?
- Are all Jabber features included in my account?
- Will Jabber work the same on different platforms and devices?
- Does Jabber work on a Virtual Machine (VM)?
- The phone number associated with my Jabber is incorrect. How do I correct it?
- When I use Jabber to place phone calls on a computer, should I use a headset?
- Can I connect to users at other universities via Jabber?
- I have multiple Bluetooth devices paired with my Jabber device. How do I set my preference?
- Some of my Jabber features don't seem to be working right. How can I troubleshoot?
Please note: Brown has provisioned the majority of single line desk phone users for Jabber in advance. These users can download the client(s) of their choice and sign in without filling out the request form. If you currently use a desk phone to answer multiple lines, lines that are shared, or departmental lines you may have issues signing into the Jabber client. If you run into any issues please fill out the Jabber request form.
If you have questions about remotely answering departmental lines or main numbers please open an IT support request.
- Request a Jabber account. (You only need to do this once as long as you indicate all devices you plan to use.)
- After your receive a confirmation that your account has been created, use the instructions in one of the following articles:
Install and Use Jabber on a Computer
Install and Use Jabber on a Mobile Device
Yes. See our article Install and Use Jabber on a Mobile Device.
The following Jabber end user guides are also available from the vendor:
See our article Install and Use Jabber on a Mobile Device.
The range of phone numbers you can call on Jabber is the same as on your Brown desk phone, if you have one. The default is local calling only. Any additional features can be requested by contacting the IT Service Center.
Many Jabber features work across platforms. However, there are minor differences between Mac and Windows clients.
Yes. In order for Cisco Jabber to register the VM, "Networking" must be set to "Bridged." Cisco Jabber does not work when the VM network is set to "NAT." If you have questions, please contact the IT Service Center.
Directory listing information from Brown’s Active Directory is synced nightly with Jabber. If your telephone number is incorrect, please submit a request to the IT Service Center.
Yes, in order to experience the best sound quality and minimize interference, we recommend you use a headset, especially if it is connected to your Jabber device via Bluetooth.
Yes, you can connect to anyone who is using Jabber. Simply enter the user’s email address (e.g. email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org). If you have questions, please contact the IT Service Center.
For Windows: In the Jabber client, select File > Options > Audio. Click to select your preferred device. To list your audio devices in order of preference, click Advanced.
For Mac: Select Jabber > Preferences > Audio/Video. After the device is recognized, select the desired device from the list.
You can check the connection status for many of Jabber’s features.
For Windows: In the client, select the Menu icon, then Help > Show connection status.
For Mac: Select Help > Show Connection Status. The server connection status window opens.
Connected—Feature is enabled and connected properly
Connecting—Feature is making a connection attempt
Disconnected—Feature is enabled but is not connected. You may not be connected to the network, or a server may be down.
Error—Feature is not currently enabled or connected. You may have entered an incorrect password. Try logging off and logging in again.
Unknown—Feature status is unknown; contact your Service Desk to verify your account settings.