With Jabber, you can bring your Brown phone number with you, even if you're away from your desk! Jabber is a unified communications application for Windows, Mac OS X, and mobile devices. It'll let you make and receive phone calls*, conduct encrypted chats to others who are logged into the system, and search the Brown directory.
Install Jabber on a Mobile Device
- Request a Jabber account. (You only need to do this once, as long as you select all devices you plan to use.)
- After your receive a confirmation that your account has been created, download and install the "Cisco Jabber" app from one of the following links:
Apple store (iPhone / iPad)
Google Play store (Android)
- Enter your Brown email address and click Continue
- When prompted, enter your Brown username and password.
We recommend keeping the Automatic Sign On option ON because signing in can be slow. Whenever you want to avoid getting Jabber calls on your mobile device, you can just quit the app. Instructions: iPhone | Android
Use Jabber on a Mobile Device
After logging in, you will see your Contacts. Here, you can save contacts you interact with frequently. You can quickly see if they are available (logged into the system) and just tap their name to interact.
The circle on the top left (your initials) allows you to access a set of preferences. The icons across the bottom of the screen will display a red number if you have missed a call, or if you have a voicemail that you have not yet played.
Control Your Availability
In order to receive calls on your mobile device, you need to have the app running and be logged into it. Here are some tips:
- We recommend using the "stay signed in" setting for your convenience.
- If you turn your phone off and on again, you must re-open the Jabber app and sign in to receive calls.
- If you don't want to be disturbed on your mobile device, we recommend swiping the app closed instead of signing out. If the app is not actively running, you will not receive calls on the device.
- If you set your status to "Do Not Disturb" in the app, your desk phone will not ring either.
Make a Phone Call
- Access the keyapd by clicking the "calls" icon and choosing Keypad.
- Dial the number you would like to call. Dialing works the same as on your Brown phone. You can dial Brown extensions like 3-5555 as you would on Brown phones. If you dial a number outside Brown, you need to dial '8' first, just like on campus.
- Please note, the call will display your Brown work number.
- Access your Voicemail by clicking the voicemail icon. You will see a list of messages with caller name, date, and duration.
- To play a voice message, or call a contact back, tap on one of these messages.
- Swipe left to delete the message.
Add a person to your Contact list
- Tap the Contacts icon and then the "+" (plus sign) and select "Add Contacts."
- Type the name, username or email address of the person you wish to add to your contact list.
- When you have found the contact, select the name and the group you wish to add them to. To add them to your Favorites list toggle the Add to Favorites switch. Then tap Done.
To add a contact to your Favorites list, Click on the "i" next to the contact. Once in their record, click on the star in the upper right.
View Recent Calls
- Open the Calls icon (Recents tab) to view all your recent calls or just your Missed calls. Use the tabs at the top of the Recents window to view All calls, or filter only your Missed calls.
- Tap the contact to call back directly, or the arrow to view additional details for the call.