Import content from a Canvas course when you want to use or repurpose previously created content, including course settings, syllabi, assignments, modules, files, pages, and discussions. You can also import and adjust events and due dates.
Note: Draft State settings are retained in course imports. If an assignment is unpublished in a course, the assignment will also be unpublished in the content import.
Transfer content from one course to another
- Select the course you would like to import the content into (i.e. a new course site).
- Click Settings on the Course Navigation menu.
- Click Import Content into this Course on the right side of the page.
- In the Content Type menu, select Copy a Canvas Course.
- Locate the course you want to copy content from in one of two ways:
- Select the course in the Select a course menu.
- Search by course name, then select the course, in the Course name box.
- Select All content if you want to import all of the content from the course.
- Select Select specific content to choose specific content to copy in a later step.
- Select Adjust events and due dates to adjust the due dates associated with course events and assignments (recommended for courses using Calendar Events and Assignments).
- In the Beginning date box , select or enter the original start date of the course you are importing.
- Enter the new date on which you want the course to begin in the change to date box in the same row .
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 with the Ending date boxes to adjust the course's ending date.
- Define day substitutions to change class schedules (eg. move all assignments on Mondays to Tuesdays). To create a date substitution, click +Substitution. Use the Move from menus to select the days of the week and add as many substitutions as needed.
- Click Import.
View Current Jobs
The Current Jobs menu displays courses that are being imported. The Running status bar displays the time remaining. You will receive an email notification when your import is complete.
Check course import status
Import statuses include pre-processing, queued, running, completed, and failed.
If you imported the course and did not select specific content, Canvas will show any issues that occurred with the import. Click issues to view them .
If you imported the course and selected specific content, Canvas will ask you to select the content you want to import. Click Select Content .
Select content groups to import all of the items within them . To import only select items from a content group, click the arrow to the left of the group name and select specific items to import . Clear items to skip importing them .