As of August 2022, Brown University has installed the Top Hat 1.3 LTI into Canvas. This new integration provides more security and also enables additional features including a Top Hat course navigation menu item, deep linking content, and automated roster & grade syncing.
The prior version of the Top Hat integration - Top Hat 1.1 - will continue to function until the end of 2023. Instructors using Top Hat in their Fall 2022 courses can continue working with the 1.1 integration.
NOTE: These instructions are only applicable for those hoping to use the Top Hat 1.3 Integration and do not already have the Top Hat menu item appearing in their course navigation menu.
- Go to your Canvas course.
- Click on the Settings button .
- Click on the Navigation tab .
- The next screen is split into 2 sections, the upper section displays all tools that are already turned on and appear in your course navigation ment; the lower section shows all tools that are available, but not enabled.
- Find the Top Hat item  in the lower section of the page and drag it to the upper section.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Save button .
- Refresh your page to see the new item added to your course navigation menu.
If you have any problems adding the Top Hat item to your course navigation menu, please email Digital Learning & Design.