When you and/or your students cannot be physically present in the same place at the same time, or if you want to create learning resources to be used outside of classroom for flipped learning , the following tools help create video resources. These tools allow recording voiceover with video from your webcam and/or anything on your screen.
Publish and share easily on Canvas
- Add voiceover to your PowerPoint presentation or anything on your screen.
- Option to capture yourself or what you are doing with a webcam. Can do both at once.
- User-friendly-it’s easy to use.
- Students can take notes or add bookmarks to the video assigned.
Higher end, more functionality
- Record your screen with voiceover in conjunction with the video from the webcam.
- Flexibility to edit videos and add effects
- Add quizzes.
- Not as easy as personal capture. Need to learn the software.
- Can publish the video to a free Screencast.com account
- Camtasia works for PC and Macs.
- Install Camtasia Studio for windows or mac. Limited keyed licences are available for Brown faculty and staff. For frequent use consider buying individual license at education pricing.
Note: We highly recommend a consultation with the Academic Technology team. Contact Digital Learning & Design to set up a meeting.
Other tools to consider:
Easy availability on Mac
- Record voiceover with video from your webcam or anything on your screen. You can’t record voiceover for both webcam and screen presentation at the same time.
- More flexibility in editing videos - trim ends, cut out any part, rearrange segments.
- QuickTime is pre-installed on MACs. To install on PC download for free.
- See Apple support for Quicktime usage instructions.
Create short screen captures for instant, focused communication
- Select any window or area on the screen to capture.
- Publish the videos to ScreenCast.com.
- Five minute limit.
- No editing possible in Jing.
Other useful resources