Create an assignment that reminds students to record their name using the Namecoach Assignment External Tool.
- Log in to canvas.brown.edu.
- Select your course.
- Select the Assignments tool.
- Click the + Assignment button.
- Enter a title for the assignment and instructions in the fields provided.
- Under the options for "Submission Type," select External Tool then the Find button. A pop-up window will appear.
- Scroll through the list of options to locate and select Namecoach Recorder. Click the Select button.
- Click the Save and publish button to make the assignment available to students.
Your students will now see a link to the new assignment due on the date you have specified. Each student will be asked to enter a preferred name, gender pronouns, and a recording either through their browser or over the phone. Each field is optional.
** Known Issues: Namecoach Recorder does not work using the Safari browser.
Note: At this point, Namecoach will not automatically submit a grade when your student records their name. You must make this a graded assignment for the External Tool option to appear under "Submission Type." Instructors and Graduate TAs will have to enter grades manually using the Grades tool. Additionally. enable the "Do not count this assignment towards the final grade" option to exclude the assignment from the Grades tool.