Brown uses Google Apps for Education for its collaboration and productivity tools. All members of the Brown community, except some affiliates and summer students, receive a Google account which they can use to access the following apps.
While you can use the links below to access your apps, they are also available from a menu you'll see after you have logged in to your mail. For instructions, see the article Access Apps in Google.
Brown's core suite of Google Apps are covered by a policy agreement that provides higher levels of security, privacy, and prohibits advertisements.
How to use Google Mail
How to use Google Calendar
How to use Google Groups
- Hangouts Chat / Video Chat
How to use Google Hangout Chats
Decide Which Group Chat is Right For You
How to use Google Drive
How to use Google Sites
"Consumer Apps" are apps that you can use with your Brown.edu email address, but that do not fall under Brown's contract with Google. On these consumer apps, ads may be displayed, support is not provided (by either Brown or Google), and uptime is not guaranteed. Remember that the access and use of these consumer apps still falls under the Brown Acceptable Use Policy.
- Blogger - Free weblog publishing tool
- Bookmarks - Access your Bookmarks on any computer
- Books - Search the full text of books
- Feedburner - Hosts your blog's RSS feed so you can view statistics for your feed
- Finance - Business info, news and interactive charts
- Google+ - Social network
- Maps - View maps and directions
- MapMaker - Become a citizen cartographer and help map your world
- Moderator - Gather and prioritize questions or opinions on any topic from a group of people
- News - Search thousands of news stories
- Photos - Share photos with friends and family, or explore public photos
- YouTube - share videos
These are services provided by companies other than Google, but we have enabled the ability for you to log into them with your Brown Google account. These have their own individual terms and services.
- Digication - ePortfolios
- Shiftplanning - timecard system used by some departments for student workers