Voicethread is a web-based video system where students can view and comment on short videos or submit their own.
- Faculty can receive all student videos in one place.
- Faculty and/or students can comment on videos by recording themselves, typing text, or even drawing on the video.
- Videos are easily tied to the course and accessible via Canvas.
- The software provides video capture abilities.
- Videos can be downloaded.
- Brown University has a license so that all instructors can use it.
- You have a Canvas course or request one through courses.brown.edu.
- In your Canvas course, click Modules in the Course Navigation menu on the left.
- Click Add Module, then complete the form.
- Click the + icon to the right of the Module Title.
- In the Add Menu, select External Tool.
- In the Add Item menu that appears, select VT with Grades.
- Enter a name in the Page Name box.
- Click Add Item.
Information for Students
Access Voicethread through your Canvas course, not through Voicethread.com.
When an instructor requires a video to be submitted to Voicethread as an assignment, you must create or upload the video and then share it with the course group by dragging the video icon into the group folder for it to be viewable.
Internet browser, Internet access, camera, microphone
FAQ [links from Knowledge Base how-to]
Videos can be uploaded to Voicethread or created using the camera and microphone on a computer
There is no link between Voicethread and Canvas assignments or the Canvas gradebook. Assignments can be created and the video link embedded if a gradebook column is desired.
- Videos created by students are owned by students and must be shared with the instructor or course for viewing. Students can delete or remove their created videos.