Google Hangouts Chat allows you to chat and collaborate with other members of the Brown community via the web, or with a lightweight chat client. Hangouts Chat gives you the ability to use chat rooms and send direct messages, with excellent integration with other G Suite for Education tools.
If you're looking for video chat capabilities, see our article: Choose a Service for Video and Web Conferencing.
Google Hangouts Chat is good to use if your participants are already using the web interface to Gmail, or if you are looking for a lightweight chat app you can share with you and a small team of people.
- Go to chat.google.com to use the web chat features, or
- Install the Google Hangouts Chat Plugin from Google's download site.
Create a Hangout
In addition to regular chat functionality with individual, Hangouts Chat includes:
- Separate Chat "Rooms": You can create custom hangout "rooms", to tailor your chats to specific topics or channels.
- Interaction with Google Drive: Google makes it easy to link, open, and share Google Docs in Hangouts Chat.
- "Bot" Integration: Hangouts Chat has connectors to many other functions, so you can integrate Chat actions with external participants or web services.