Although RemoteApp applications may seem that they are running locally on your computer, the application is actually running remotely on a server in the CIT datacenter. This enables us to keep the application up-to-date and conserve computing resources when they are not in use.
If you leave your RemoteApp session open for more than an hour without mouse or keyboard input, you may be logged out of your RemoteApp session. However, if you have a short disconnection, you should be able to log back in and re-connect to your session - picking up right where you left off - even if you switch computers.
If you do not see the RemoteApp icon for the application that you want to run, or clicking on the application’s icon does not open the application, try updating RemoteApp on your computer:
- Navigate to Control Panel
- Choose RemoteApp and Desktop Connections
- Choose Properties
- Click on “Update now.” This will update your RemoteApp icons.
If you are experiencing another issue such as: the application you are running is displaying errors, the application crashes, you are not able to open the application, or you are not able to log back onto RemoteApp after disconnection, try the following:
- If you close RemoteApp and wait over one hour, your current RemoteApp session should timeout and close. After your current session closes, the next time you login, you will log into a new RemoteApp session.
- Log off RemoteApp. Inform the IT Service Center of your issue, and ask them to kill your RemoteApp session. After the current RemoteApp session is stopped, you will be able to log into a new RemoteApp session.
- Try logging into RemoteApp from another computer. You can use lab computers in Barus & Holley 191.
If RemoteApp is not working for you, inform the IT Service Center.
If you have trouble with Solidworks PDM:
If Solidworks crashes while trying to submit homework via PDM:
Log off of RemoteApp, and ask the IT Service Center to kill your current RemoteApp session.
If you cannot log into the Solidworks PDM vault (username or password issue):
Please contact your Professor, as they administer their PDM Vault.