Enable view-only access
Instructors may allow non-Brown users view-only access to Canvas course sites. Note: the course will not be indexed by search engines unless the link to the course site is published elsewhere on the internet (i.e. personal website, department sites, etc.)
We do not encourage the use of Public View for your course.
Public view is just that: allowing anyone to view your course materials, without having to log in to Canvas.
This can include allowing any search engine (Google, Yahoo, etc.) to access and index your data, so please only use this option if you are comfortable with allowing those permissions.
If you need to allow access to a person from outside of Brown, please think about getting that person(s) a Sponsored ID
To enable public view-only access
- Log in to canvas.brown.edu.
- Select the course from the Courses tab in the Global Navigation menu on the left.
- In the Course Navigation menu, click Settings.
- Scroll down to the Visibility settings.
- Click Make this course publicly visible (student data will remain private).
- Click Update Course Details.