Online Course Reserves Access (OCRA) is a service used to place books and other physical media on reserve at a Library location in addition to creating electronic reserves: links to e-books and other online content, digitization of articles, book chapters, full-length movies, short video clips, and audio files.
Instructors supply the citation information and/or the material to digitize, and Library and Academic Technology staff work together to do the rest. Instructors should remember to request a Canvas course website using courses.brown.edu and then activate the E-Reserves button in Canvas.
Benefits of using OCRA
- Faculty and students gain access to material that complies with Copyright and Fair Use Guidelines as outlined by the University.
- Faculty and students gain access to full-length films for streaming online for the duration of an academic semester.
- Library and Academic Technology staff work together to digitize content (i.e. scanning book chapters, digitizing films for streaming, etc.) and make the content available using Copyright guidelines.
- OCRA requests can be reactivated and edited each semester.
- OCRA and Online Movies can be linked directly to a Canvas course.
Faculty should request and reactivate course lists at library.brown.edu/reserves. It may take up to 2 weeks to process requests for scanned materials and online films.
Faculty should add non-registered users to Canvas as a TA or Designer to gain access to the course E-Reserves and Online Movies.
Information for Students
What should students know about using this service?
Access to OCRA
Students can log in to library.brown.edu/reserves OR Canvas to access the list of reserves. If logging in through the Library website, the students will need to know the password set by the instructor.
Where do I request online reserves?
Where do I access my course's online reserves?
- If a course has a Canvas site, faculty and students can access the E-Reserves and Online Movies through canvas.brown.edu. Alternatively, students can access material through library.brown.edu/reserves.
Where can I get help?
- For questions or assistance in using E-Reserves contact your Reserve Unit Rock-Reserves@brown.edu or Sci-Circ@brown.edu. For films please contact Sci-Circ@brown.edu.
- For questions on your Canvas link to OCRA E-Reserves, contact your Instructional Technologist or email email@example.com.
- For issues viewing Online Movies, contact the IT Service Center:: call (401)863-4357, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or stop by 115 Waterman St., Lobby (extended hours until 8pm on weekdays).