Microsoft Office 365 allows students, Brown-paid faculty, and staff to download and install Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.) on up to 5 personal computers and use it while they are an active member of the Brown community.
- Brown-paid faculty and staff - installing on a Brown-owned computer? Please use the "Office" links on software.brown.edu instead. The non-365 versions are the same software, but for Brown-owned computers. Your computer will need to be on the Brown network for initial activation and a periodic check-in.
Instructions for Mac and Windows
- Visit http://office365.brown.edu.* (Do not use Internet Explorer. Use Firefox or Chrome browsers. You will NOT be able to download Office 365 on the Brown-Guest wifi/if offsite connect to VPN first.)
- Log in with your Brown username (e.g., jcarberr). This is your regular Brown username .
- You will be taken to a page on which you can download Office. Double click the downloaded file to start the installation.
In the event that you are prompted to enter a product key or activate when first opening an Office 365 program, just click on "Sign In" ( usually on the bottom left of the open window). You will see an Office screen asking you to log in with your email address. Enter "email@example.com" (with your username) instead of email address and click on next. Then, you will see the Brown log in page. You can enter your Brown Username and Password normally here.*
First Log in Screen: DO NOT USE BROWN EMAIL. Use firstname.lastname@example.org
Second log in screen. Use Brown username and Password.
Instructions for iPad, iPhone, or Android
New with Office 365 is the ability to use the Office Mobile apps in read/write mode, on both Brown-owned and personally-owned mobile devices. If you already have Microsoft Word, Excel, or Powerpoint for iPad/iPhone installed, you can now turn those into full "read/write" mode. If you do not have the Office for iPad apps yet, you can install them from the App Store, and follow instructions below.
- Connect your iOS device a wireless network -- it WILL NOT work on Brown-Guest.
- Launch one of your Office 365 applications (Word, Excel, or Powerpoint).
- Select the "authenticate" icon at the lower left of your open "Office 365" window.
- Log in with your Brown username (e.g., email@example.com). This is your regular Brown username.
Renew the Software
The software will check in automatically to make sure you are still an active Brown faculty/staff member. If you aren't able to log in for 30 days (for example, if you are not connected to the internet), the software will operate in read-only mode. You must connect to the internet and log in periodically to maintain your access. If you change your Brown password, you may be asked to reenter your password. If prompted to log in, remember to use your username with which you originally signed in (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org)
* You will not be able to access Office365.brown.edu or be able to activate/renew if you are on the Brown Guest Network; all other networks will work.