Creating Group Sets
Groups can be used as a collaborative tool where students can work together on group projects and assignments, or to facilitate study groups. Within each group, students can create pages, announcements, collaborations, discussions, and calendar events. To create groups:
- Log in to Canvas at canvas.brown.edu.
- Select your course from the Global Navigation menu on the left.
- Click People in the Course Navigation menu.
- Click + Group Set to add a set of groups to your course. A Group Set houses the student groups for a particular assignment, project or activity.
- Enter a group set name in the Group Set Name box.
- Select Allow self sign-up to have students choose their groups themselves.
- Select Require group members to be in the same section to require students to be in groups according to their sections.
- Enter the number of groups to be created and the maximum number of students per group in the Group Structure section.
- Select Automatically assign a student group leader to assign a group leader automatically. When students are assigned to be a group leader, they can manage members of the group and edit the group name. However, they cannot change the number of members in the group.
- If you have chosen self sign-up, Canvas will create the number of groups entered and students will sign up on their own.
Manually Creating Groups
If you have chosen to manually create and assign groups, follow these steps:
- Within the correct Group Set, click + Group to create a new group.
- Click and drag students listed in the Unassigned Students box into groups.
- Use the tabs to navigate the group sets and groups within each set.
- Click the setting icon across from tehv name of a group to navigate to that group’s site and view its content and discussions.
- To edit a group or group set, click the Settings icon, then click Edit.
- To delete a group or group set, click the Settings icon, then click Delete.