Groups can be used as a collaborative tool where students can work together on group projects and assignments, or to facilitate study groups. Within each group, students can create pages, announcements, collaborations, discussions, and calendar events. To create groups:
- Log in to Canvas at canvas.brown.edu.
- Select your course from the Global Navigation menu on the left.
- Click People in the Course Navigation menu.
- Click + Group Set to add a set of groups to your course.
- Enter a group set name in the Group Set Name box.
- Select Allow self sign-up to have students choose their groups themselves.
- Select Require group members to be in the same section to require students to be in groups according to their sections.
- Enter the number of groups to be created and the maximum number of students per group in the Group Structure section.
- Select Automatically assign a student group leader to assign a group leader automatically.
- Click Save.
- If you have chosen self sign-up, Canvas will create the number of groups entered and students will sign up on their own.
If you have chosen to manually create and assign groups, follow these steps:
- Click + Group to create a new group.
- Click and drag students listed in the Unassigned Students box into groups.
- Use the tabs to navigate the group sets and groups within each set.
- Click the name of a group to navigate to that group’s site and view its content and discussions.
- To edit a group or group set, click the Settings (gear) icon, then click Edit.
- To delete a group or group set, click the Settings (gear) icon, then click Delete.