Open Finder on a Mac (the program you use to browse your files). If you open any folder on your Mac, you will be in Finder. ( Getting to know the Finder on your Mac: https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT201732 )
Look for the "Go" menu along to the top of your screen. From this menu, select "Connect to Server".
You will be prompted to enter a path (address) for the share. Check with your Department's IT Support for your correct share name. The general format is as follows, italics replaced with your information:
- For your personal share, smb://files.brown.edu/dfs/DepartmentName_Users/YourUsername
- For your departmental share, smb://files.brown.edu/dfs/DepartmentName_Shared
- For a research share, smb://files.brown.edu/research/LabName_Shared
- For your network home folder, smb://files.brown.edu/home/username
You will be prompted to log in with your Brown username and password.
Your folder will open. You can open files and drag files to and from the folder.
Improving performance of macOS Spotlight Search on Department File Services
If you are in a group that primarily uses Mac computers and you rely on Spotlight search to find and use your files, Spotlight performance may be very slow due to poor search support on Macs using Windows file servers over SMB connections. If this impacts your work, CIS can create an alternate connection for your files that uses Apple AFP search methods for much better performance. To request an AFP path, please submit a ticket to the IT Service Center using the form here: https://ithelp.brown.edu/new-ticket or send a request via email to email@example.com Be sure to include the name of your existing network share in the request.
Once an AFP path has been created for your department, follow steps 1-3 above to Connect to Server... but use the following server location paths, including the alterante protocol ‘afp://’ and the alternate server name ‘afpfiles.brown.edu’ instead of the SMB values:
- For your personal share, afp://afpfiles.brown.edu/dfs/DepartmentName_Users/YourUsername
- For your departmental share, afp://afpfiles.brown.edu/dfs/DepartmentName_Shared
- For a research share, afp://afpfiles.brown.edu/research/LabName_Shared
- For your network home folder, afp://afpfiles.brown.edu/home/username