There is an easier way to print from your computer, no tedious setup required! See our article Print to PAWPrints from Your Computer for instructions. We only recommend using the instructions below if you frequently need to print a filetype not supported by that method.
This has only been tested on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. PAWPrints could be configured for other Linux distributions, but they have not been tested. They may follow the same procedure.
Step 1: Connect to the Brown network:
This will NOT work with Brown-Guest. You need to be connected to the Brown wireless network or plugged in with an Ethernet cable at Brown. Instructions for connecting to Brown can be found on our Wireless page.
Step 2: Set up printing to the PAWPrints queue:
- Open System Settings.
- Click the Printers icon in the new window.
- Click +Add on the top left hand side of the window.
- Click on the triangle near "Network Printer" to show a longer list. Select "Windows Printer via SAMBA" in the list on the left hand column. In the address bar after smb:// type in cisuniprint.ad.brown.edu/pawprints
- Select the radial for "Set authentication details now" and put in your login credentials. Your username should be in the format: ad\username - Put in your password and then click Forward.
- In the Choose Driver window, go down and select HP then click Forward.
- In the models section, select LaserJet 9000 and leave the default selection on the right side and click Forward.
- Check off "Duplex" and then click Forward
- Here, it's suggested you give the printer a name for convenience. Here, it is labeled PrintToPAWPrints, but you can name it what you want. Then click Apply.
- You can print a test page and then check your queue to make sure it's printing; obviously, you don't have to actually print it out.
- By default, Duplex is turned off. You can turn it on by going to Printer in System Settings. Right-click on the printer and click Properties. Go to Printer Options on the left column and scroll down on the right column. Here you can choose your Duplexing option. (Off by default)
Step 3: Print to the printer name you've setup. In this case, "PrintToPAWPrints".
Step 4: Go to a Print Release Station to release Job.