Step 1: Update the syllabus page
RECOMMENDED - Starting with the Syllabus tool, include pertinent course information on the syllabus page using the Rich Text Editor. This method ensures the content is accessible and is viewable on mobile devices.
- Click Syllabus in the Course Navigation menu on the left.
- Click Edit on the upper right of the page. You can enter text, upload files, and include links to external resources in the text editor.
- Type or copy & paste basic course information, for example:
- Brief course description
- Office hours
- Contact information
- Directions for students about navigating the course site (i.e. where to find readings, assignments, and other resources)
- Small images
ALTERNATIVE - Upload your prepared syllabus file (PDF preferred)
- Click in the text editor where you'd like the link to the file to go.
- Click the Files tab in the menu to the right of the text editor.
- Select your file from those you have already uploaded or click Upload a new file.
- Click the Update Syllabus.
Step 2: Add assignments
Continue to build your course syllabus by adding scheduled assignments.
- Click Assignments in the Course Navigation menu on the left.
- Click + Assignment on the upper right.
- Enter the title of the assignment, a due date, and a description.
Note: the assignment tool has the same text editor that the Syllabus tool uses.
- Enter other details like the total number of points for the assignment and the submission type.
- Repeat steps to add more assignments. You can also create discussions and quizzes.
- Once you’ve created your assignments, your Syllabus page will aggregate calendar entries and build a course schedule based on the due dates of the assignments.
- Your Calendar now includes links to all assignments.
- Click here for more details about adding assignments.
Step 3: Organize content into modules
Modules help organize content into a list view of files, links, and text. Module items can include daily readings or lecture slides, weekly discussion questions, or general information ranging from course files and external links to Canvas assignments. To organize your course content into modules:
- Click Modules in the Course Navigation menu on the left.
- Click + Module.
- Enter the title in the Module Name box, then click Add Module.
- Click the + icon to the right of the module name.
- Select the type of content you want to add in the Add menu. Select the item you want to associate with this module or create a new item.
- Click Add Item.
- Drag items to rearrange them.
- Organize modules further using text headers and by indenting items.
- Click here for more details about organizing with modules.
Step 4: Set your home page
Set the home page for your course. This will be the page students see first when they access your course site.
- Select Syllabus to display the Syllabus page with a list of assignments. (Recommended**)
- Select Assignment List to show the Assignments page for the course, with the upcoming and recent assignments featured at the top.
- Select Course modules to show the course content organized in modules.
- Select Pages Front Page to create your own home page using the Rich Content Editor tool. You can use text, content, media, and links to create an interactive and instructive page.
- Select Recent Activities Dashboard to show a list of recent changes, updates, and announcements made in the course.
- Click here for more details about setting a homepage layout.
**We recommend using the Syllabus page and including links to pertinent course content areas (Modules tool, Discussion tool, etc.) within the syllabus description.
You're now ready to publish your course! Once you publish the site, your students will have access to your course materials.
Follow these additional steps to develop your course site further: