Respondus LockDown Browser
Respondus LockDown Browser® is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within Canvas. When students use Respondus LockDown Browser they are unable to print, copy, go to another URL, or access other applications. When an assessment is started, students are locked out of these functions until they submit their exam for grading. Download Available for Windows, Mac and iOS and at software.brown.edu.
Instructors looking to use LockDown Browser in their Canvas site must email itg@Brown.edu.
- Integrates with Canvas
- Assessments are displayed full-screen and cannot be minimized
- Assessments cannot be exited until submitted by users for grading
- Task switching or access to other applications is prevented
- Print, Print Screen and capturing functions are disabled
- Copying and pasting anything to and from an assessment is prohibited
- Screen capture, messaging, screen-sharing, virtual machine, and network monitoring applications are blocked from running
- Right-click menu options and function keys are disabled
- Browser menu and toolbar options are disabled, except for Back, Forward, Refresh and Stop
Instructors- How to use the LockDown Browser
- Students must download the browser and will use it to navigate to Canvas.brown.edu to take their quiz or exam
- Instructors must request Lockdown Browser be enabled for their course by emailing itg@Brown.edu
- Instructors must require the LockDown Browser for the quiz or exam in Canvas.
- Create and publish a quiz in Canvas
- Choose "LockDown Browser from the course's left navigation menu
- Click on the small arrow next to the quiz or exam name
- Select "Require LockDown Browser"
- Add a password, if desired.